Friday, September 15, 2006

Busy September

I realized tonight at my cake decorating class that it's been a while since I've posted, so I thought I'd do a quick update. I am back at NSCAD taking full time classes again. I've started teaching cake decorating courses which seemed intimidating at first, but has turned out to be a lot of fun. It helps that I have a great group of enthusiastic students who really love to bake.I've also been busy bakeing, canning, and gearing up for fall in general.

Paulette and I have been talking about preserves since mid-summer and one day she offered to give Laura and I a ride to the supermarket on the way home from work so I could pick up all the stuff I needed to start canning. I picked out Mason Jars, pectin, vinaigres for pickling and salsa.
Paulette and Laura are more experienced "canners" than I am, so they gave me tips and advice, they also helped me pick through baskets for the best tree ripened peaches. I decided to make peach preserves with vanilla and raspberry liquer.

Dan and I went to Farmer Clems on Sunday to buy some small cucumbers, but alas their time had passed. Instead, we picked a peck of barlett pears and decided to make pear butter with lemon and chopped ginger. Canning was a laugh, we stayed up until four in the morning even though I had class the next day. It was so worth it, and not as hard as I thought it would be. It will be wonderful to open a jar of vanilla peaches together in january. I also can't wait to give my very helpful friends a couple of jars.



Dan and I have decided that these will be our "Crow Time Preserves" because we've noticed that the crows are coming back to the old motherhouse, behind Mount St. Vincent. They meet in large numbers in the fall, it is a sure sign of the season turning. Later canning will be labled with the time of year we make it. Dans lables are still in the works.

We also made 4 batches of banana bread that day. Dan's been baking bread and montreal style bagels; in other words we've been having a good time feeding ourselves now, and preparing to feed ourselves and others in the future. Yeay food.

Dan has also been procrastinating from dish washing by making these crazy bubbles with the dish soap! At this point he can blow huge bubbles using just his hands.






I feel like I'm finally getting adjusted to being so busy, finaly. I'm also feeling really inspired by my cake decorating students, so cupcakes and sweets like you've never seen before are soon to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home