Sunday, August 27, 2006

Wedding cake is done! Celebrating with Pocky

I am finally done baking and decorating! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy both of thoses things quite a bit, but making a wedding cake is pretty intense. It's a big responsibility and is a lot of work over a short period of time. I ended up baking seven cakes in total, which combined into four tall cakes; three tiers for the wedding cake itself and one extra 6 inch. The top and bottom cakes were Almond Cream Pound Cake with Cherry Preserves and pure Vanilla Buttercream. The Middle was Chocolate Mocha Buttermilk Cake with Espresso filling.
Dan and I were rushing to set up the cake at the reception and our cabbie (who was very nice) accidently took us to the wrong aquatic club. We drove towards the other club and only to reach a dead end. The street stopped there, so rather than turn around and drive around the lake we decided to take turns running the cakes across a little foot bridge over the canal. It felt like a bad reality tv challenge, he stayed with the cakes while I carried the first one across the bridge to the club, which proved difficult to get into. No one answered the doors when I kn
ocked. Luckily I found an open door out back, but when I returned with the second cake the door was locked! I guess someone must have heard me, maybe thought I wasn't supposed to be there, and locked the door. At this point I was very stressed and exausted. Those Pound cakes are awfully heavy.
To make a long story short, after some wait a staff member finally answered the door and we lugged the other cakes one by one over the bridge down the path to the club, around the back, up the stairs to the reception area. After which I set up the tiers, arranged the fondant roses and had a stiff drink. In all this hurry I didn't take any photos. I can hardly believe I forgot, but I am hoping soon I will get one from someone to put up.

Tamara and Trevor cut the cake late into the night, and served generous portions, it was great. (She looked stunning by the way).

The photographer, Mohammed, seemed to like it a lot, he asked me what the mocha cake was and said something to the effect of "If I want you to make me a cake, I want one like this. None of that Frosting Bullshit." Which I took as a compliment, I bet he tastes a lot of sickly sweet or shortningy wedding cakes. I noticed a box outside in the dumpster that was smeared with acid green shortning frosting. Yuck.

On a different note, I found Pineapple Pocky at Tian Phat on the bedford highway, simply labled "pine cream" flavour. Definitely going to make some cupcakes or cookies based on that next. Pineapple Curd maybe? If you have any fun suggestions let me know. I'll try to whip something up and post the recipe for you. = D

1 Comments:

Blogger Hollie said...

The Cake was SOOO GOOOD! I especially liked the light layer with the berrys and cream. Yum Yum Yum!!!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home